Thursday, June 12, 2008

The local video rental store

We live literally one block from Hollywood Movie Rental. We have a membership there where we can just check out whatever, whenever as long as we don't have more than two out at the same time. This means that we're frequent patrons... I'm on a first name basis with probably half of the employees. So anyway, I'm checking out a DVD the other day, and the cashier asks me "what do blind people dream?" He has a bit of an accent, so at first I think he is teasing me by asking what blond people dream. I'm about to retort with something very witty (very witty, I'm sure) when I realize that he said "blind" and I stop abruptly. What DO blind people dream? I don't know.

2 comments:

exclusive_remedy said...

So, the neuroscientist in me says that even though blind people can't see they still have a working visual cortex (at least some of them do) so I imagine they still dream in shapes and stuff, but they just might be their own idea of what things look like.

Shelton and Bethany said...

That's kinda what I was thinking (without the term specificity), but Shelton thinks that the visual cortex would atrophy, and that the other senses would increase in some way, and that they would dream more in sounds and touch...? I don't know.