It usually doesn't take much for me to rid myself of THE FUNK. A successful baking session... a really great chick flick, a thoughtful note from my husband... all of these things are typically enough. The funk that I have been in lately though has been a large one. To give you some idea... I've purchased not one but three pairs of shoes in the past week.
If any of you reading this know me well, then you know I like shoes. Let me rephrase. I LOVE shoes. There are very few things that I would not do for a new pair of shoes. (I refuse to tell you how many pairs that I have because my husband might read this post and force me to get rid of some of them. Shhh....)
That said, not even three pairs of shoes helped me to rid myself of this funk. And let me tell you, they are GREAT shoes. (In my defense, the sum total of all three pairs of shoes was $25. Yes, I'm a bargain shopper these days). But unfortunately, three pairs and $25 later, I still found myself in a funk this afternoon.
Then I received a phone call from a very good friend of mine. We'd been meaning to get together, but this and that kept getting in the way. You know how it is. My first thought when she called was that , yeah, I'd like to get together, but I'm not feeling very sociable... and I have so much laundry to do, and my neighbors are cooking something stinky. My house smells bad. Not tonight. Maybe sometime when I'm not in THE FUNK. Things ended up working out though, and this good friend of mine came over while Shelton was out and about.
Slowly at first, and then progressively faster and faster, THE FUNK melted away. There are some people in life that are honestly like a breath of fresh air, and this good friend of mine is like that. If you've never had this kind of friend, I suggest you find one. The kind of friend that I'm talking about cares as much about you and your well-being as you do, and vice-versa. The kind of friend that I'm talking about can still finish your sentences, even though you haven't seen each other in months. The kind of friend I'm talking about helps you to think out your deepest concerns, and trusts you enough to confide their own most intimate thoughts.
This post is basically a shout out to that friend, who has offered more support to me over the years than she has probably realized. You know who you are, and you know exactly what it means when I say that you did for me what three pairs of new shoes couldn't.
5 comments:
I think after you give birth "funks" become a part of life! I've had some myself and I'm glad you're feeling better. And honestly shoes really do it for me too!
write on, write on!
I'm glad to hear you're out of the biggest of funks:) And that you got 3 new pairs of shoes! And for only $25!!! I would like to know how many pairs you own though. Maybe sometime in private... a conversation Shelton never has to hear.
new shoes make everything better!! i'm so glad i found your blog!! we need to be better friends and hang out!! oh and mia is adorable!!
I totally what you mean about FUNKS! That is totally a good word for it too.
Post a Comment